Friday, September 25, 2009

Walking Tour

Now that I'm settled into my new place, I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my commute to school.

It's a nice short walk. It gives me a few minutes to think and if I'm late, to scarf down some breakfast as I go. Since I live on pretty high up on Potrero Hill, there's a pretty nice view of the city, too. Today was a little foggy, but it's actually usually pretty clear in this part of San Francisco.

The times that I've wandered around the neighborhood, I've felt like I was on a tour of the country because most of the north-south roads in Potrero have state names. I live on Connecticut Street (just when I thought I left the north-east).

The funny thing is that there's no geographical correspondence to their order. For example, if you started all the way east near the water and walked west on 18th Street, you would cross Illinois, 3rd St, Tennessee, Minnesota, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Texas, Missouri, Connecticut, Arkansas, Winsconsin, Carolina, DeHaro, Rhode Island, Kansas, Vermont, etc.

Anyway, that doesn't have much to do with my walk. I just walk north on Connecticut until I reach 17th St. at the bottom of the hill. I turn left there, then right at Wisconsin when I reach Parkside, a CCA hangout.

Now the homestretch. My destination is the building at the end of the road, where Wisconsin meets 8th Street. I haven't timed it yet, but the walk is well under ten minutes - maybe 7 minutes there and closer to 10 back since it's uphill.

And here we are. I spend most of my time in this building because the Graduate Design studios are here, as well as other studio spaces, the library, cafe, galleries, lecture hall, classrooms, labs, woodshops and other workshops. Tune in next week and I'll take you inside the building for a closer look.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the tour! It’s nice to see where you are; like putting a face to a name.

    Looking forward to more,

    <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete