Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wide-Eyed and Wired










always something interesting going on here in california! this week i had a visit from an old friend, my asthma. when i came out here, i didn't pack an inhaler because i haven't used one in so long, and whatever i had at home would have been expired anyway. evidently getting sick aggravated my asthma, and by the end of classes on thursday evening, i decided to go to the hospital because my chest was so tight. my kindhearted professor gave me a ride because public safety couldn't get a cab on the line for me.

the people at the hospital in the castro were super nice! i got a breathing treatment and they checked my lungs. in addition to sending me off with an inhaler, the doc also gave me a prescription for the steroid prednisone. After watching one of my friends bravely trudge through many rounds of the unpleasant drug, i was not thrilled with the idea and asked if it was absolutely necessary. he told me that he would only put me on it for three days to reduce inflamation in my lungs while i get over my cold. well, okay.

when i picked up the pills at walgreens today, i was warned by the pharmacist, "prednisone may make you jittery or have difficulty sleeping." uh-oh. that's the last thing i wanted to hear. sleeping? that's one of the most important things about getting over an illness. i've already been having trouble these past few days because of the constant coughing. i don't need any help not sleeping.

so, big surprise, after taking the pills this evening i am super jittery and cannot sleep. i did have two hour-long naps this evening, but they were actually rather unpleasant. so, now it's after 4:30am here, and i'm looking at very little time left to sleep before i have to go conduct an interview for design research class. (jeez, another weekend assignment??)

one thing is for sure. i'm going to have get some rest sometime this weekend, because i'm starting my new job at Cumulus Media on monday! more on that later.

3 comments:

  1. I heard that you were feeling ill... headache, fever, and a chill... :D

    Yikes! Get well soon! I'm not sure if I can tell Pops about this because he'll want to fly directly to SF and rescue you! Oddly enough, I've had a rather bad cough lately too (though in my case, I think it's just allergies). I'm glad to see that we can still be sick simultaneously without actually being together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bummer, man, sorry to hear you're sick, too! i don't know that Pops would necessarily hop right on a plane - after all, I'm not the FAVORITE. but maybe any excuse would be a good excuse for him to head on back to the best coast, so perhaps it's best to keep a lid on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that you had to take prednisone Paulina. It's a really downer. Are you feelin' better at least?

    ReplyDelete